Wednesday, August 7, 2013

DIY dog party hats

HAPPY HUMPDAY! Today I want to share with you a fun and easy DIY project I tried out earlier this week. It's a dog party hat! A few weekends ago, we celebrated Bruno’s 1st birthday and we purchased a cute party hat for him at Muttropolis, our favorite pet boutique (I'm planning on doing a review on the store soon). 
He looks so happy, right?
It was a little pricey (around $10 per hat, if I remember correctly), so we weren’t able to get all his friends a party hat; it would've been so cute if all of them had party hats on! Anyways, I decided to look up on how I can make my own, and guess what guys! It’s super easy! And affordable!
I can totally make this!
First, you'll need a template of a party hat, click here for the party hat template. Then you need a piece of felt ($0.33 from Michael’s), whatever you wanna use as decorative pieces (I got a bag of glittery stars for $4.99 from Michael’s), hot glue gun, and some elastic cords (I prefer using ones that are cloth covered). 
Trace the party hat template and cut it out from the felt. 
Glue it together with the hot glue gun so that extra flap is facing out, this is how it should look like
Then you're going to flip the whole thing inside out so that extra flap is now on the inside of the hat; by doing so, the hole that is at the tip of the hat is closed. Then fold the opening of the hat upwards so you get something like this
After that, the fun part! decorating the hat! 
Then you're going to cut two holes for the elastic cord; before you snip the cord, I would recommend you making sure the cord is long enough for the hat to fit snug on your dog's head (I didn't check the first time and I snipped the cord too short).
Glue a piece of felt to the cord, then glue the piece onto the hat, so the cord will not slide through the hole
I glued the flap at the back so the hat will keep its shape, but I think it's optional.
 TA-DA! the end product! 
what a handsome man! 

No comments:

Post a Comment